Friday, July 22, 2011

In response-

I definitely agree with Jeffrey- the "stuff" in this play, both physical and conceptual, is overwhelming. I believe much of it is also artificial. The colors in our images are either over-saturated or desaturated, and there is an obvious lack of natural textures (excluding water). I'm also very interested in the father's reliance on/relationship to technology, like the stereo and the television. I believe this home is one made of plastic and metal, not wood.
One thing I notice about Mother is the limits of her voice. Her thoughts only come out in a "special place" through monologue, and in dialogue with Father, she tiptoes around her meaning. Her position in the household is, to me, precarious, in addition to "trapped."
There's something sad about the way Child plays in her surroundings or makes a meal on her own. By the end, she's something of a phoenix rising, albeit somewhat burned. She's strong in her silence. I believe she sees the potential hope in every situation. I also believe the play is from her point-of-view. I would like to see her interact with the things in her home in unconventional ways. Like Father, Child has a somewhat escapist relationship with stuff. However, her relationship is more imaginative.
In response to Skye's question (well, one of them), I was initially drawn to this piece because I can see it unfold in many different ways. The language is loose enough not to tie any of us to a super-specific design from the get-go, which is really fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home